Sunday, May 14, 2006

"She's Gone" by Hall and Oates

Hall and Oates had a hit song called "She's Gone," way back in the early 80's. The lyrics went something like this:

She's Gone, oh I, oh I
I better learn how to face it.
She's gone, oh I, oh I,
I'd pay the devil to replace her.
She's gone.

Yes, people, Stephanie is gone. She up and left me last week, for the bright lights of Los Angeles. On the way out the door she gave me some stale kitty treats and told me that she bet the kitties in LA were much more handsome, charming and groomed.

I can just see her there now. Probably her first stop once in California was the Hollywood pet store, and she walked up and down the aisle petting all the felines they had in stock. I bet one of them claimed shared lineage with Rob Lowe's Russian Blue, while another was the love child of Rob Reiner's English Long hair.

It's hard for a gutter kitty like myself to compete with the likes of that.

But I still think Stephane will come back to me someday. I may not have a pedigree, and no one ever hung a price tag of $40 next to my name (I was in the clearance section).

But I can love Stephanie better than all those other high-fallutin' kitties can. Not one of them would have the dedication to wake her up at 3am in the morning to scratch her face with their litter-encrusted paws, or rub their plaque-filled chompers over her hands to mark their territory.

But I would and have.

Stephanie, you'll come back to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home