Saturday, April 14, 2007

The End


Prince, aka Goober, aka CPAcat, aka Big Kitties, died this morning, after about a week of descent. We did what we could to keep him comfortable, with salmon, Whiskas, and canned food - a veritable kitty feast.In his last days I spent as much time as I could with him, reminding him of what a great fellow he was and how much we had been through together. Although he displayed occasional flashes of his old friendly self, it became clear that his time had come, and that after several near-death experiences over the years, he would indeed not be coming back from this one. His last, unpublished blog was discovered, which reads as follows.

"Well, this fella is checking out, but I wanted to say a thank-you to all the folks who gave me such a good ride over the years.



  • My first owners: Thanks for taking care of me my first 11 years of life. No hard feelings for dropping me off at the Humane Society as an old, obese man, because if you hadn't I never would have gotten to meet my new owner.

  • Lisa I: I forgive you for painting my head green that one time. I know you didn't really mean anything by it.

  • Carrie: I forgive you for telling the owner to put me to sleep so often. I know you were just jealous of the owner's affections, which I so clearly was more capable of achieving.

  • Becca: Thanks for some nice cuddles. Sorry I made your nose stuffy.

  • Stephanie: I know you don't like the owner so good, but I sure enjoyed our time together, especially waking you up at 3 am all the time to remind you that I thought you were a neat gal.

  • John and Linda: Thanks for letting me crash at your pad so often, whenever the owner had to pawn you off for a few months. We sure had some nice times together out under the maple trees.

  • Kari: I really enjoyed it whenever you stopped by for a visit. Thanks for the Chinese food.

  • Collin: That sure was decent of you to stop by and give me one last toke. We sure smoked a lot of bud together, and I never had to chip in once! Although you're not a sentimental guy, I know it took lots of heart to stop by and see me one final time.

  • Esi: I sure enjoyed knowing you these past couple months. You're the nicest kitty owner in this hemisphere, and it sure was nice to spend time at the Theo Wirth Spa for Kitties. You still have my paintings on your carpet, which I hope you never decide to steam clean over. Too bad we couldn't have spent more time together, but the time we did have was top shelf!

  • The Owner: Thanks for taking me in as an old, obese and sickly fellow at the tail end of his years. I know you bitched about how much money I cost you and the extra care I required and the times I got you in trouble, but I never doubted your love for a second (well, except for that one time you stuck me in the bath tub). Please, don't be sad. Go find another kitty and show them the same love you showed me. And don't worry so damn much.

Wow, looking back, I sure got my paws on a lot of fine people!"


Goober will be buried out in Maple Plain with Quinn, Biff, Sonny, Coalsy and Tory, good friends who have moved on to other venues.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home